Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Installing Windows 8 Developer Preview – Second Attempt

So after not being able to continue my first attempt at installing Windows 8 Developer Preview, I have moved to a different tactic.  I am using Oracle VM Virtual Box.  I created a new virtual machine with a 40GB hard drive.  I started it up with my G: drive as the start drive.
I am immediately brought to this screen. A standard LTK (Language, Time Keyboard) screen.
image
I believe I am already way past where I got in my first attempt.  Interesting.  So I click Next.
image
I am then presented with the “Install now” screen which looks very similar to the Windows 7 install now screen. So I click Install now.  So far it is typical Microsoft Installation.
image
So remember when I said I might be further than I go before. Well, no.  I am again presented with the Licensing terms.  Interesting the difference between this screen and the one found in my first attempt.
image
So again I accept the terms and click next. I am now presented with the “Which type of installation do you want?” screen.
image
Even though Microsoft says there is currently no Upgrade path in the Developer Preview, I am asked if I want to. I am curious what will happen if I click upgrade, but I wont. So I select Custom.
image
Now I am asked where to install.  Here I only have one option which is the VHD I created when I setup the VM. As with Windows 7 install, if I click the drive options link in the bottom right corner, the additional selections become available to me.
image
I am going to just click Next from here.
image
Now the all familiar Installing Windows screen.  It got through Copying Windows files pretty quickly.  Not so much on Expanding Windows files. That took about 15 minutes.
image
A split second for installing features and updates. for Installing Features.
image
And then the reboot.
image
image
image
image
image
image
Then the restart again. I do like the new spinning dots.  easy to follow and a few different patterns.
image
Then again I am presented with the License terms. Only this time it does look more like the terms in my first attempt.  It even has the words “Make the lawyers happy by reading this carefully.”  I am not sure I like the black back ground, but my blog has a black background so I guess I am not one to speak.
image
There was a quick screen that I think had almost like an agenda of what was going to happen next.  This time the background is green.  It them went to the Personalize screen.
image
I think I will name this machine Boss-Win8-64.
image
So here I have 2 choices.  Either Express or Customize.  When given the choice I will more than likely always choose Customize.  This lets me at least see all of my options.  So here it goes.
image
Here I am going to select Yes, share and connect.  I do this because I want to see how this affects my other machines and how Windows Home Server will react to this new machine.
image
I will leave the defaults here and click Next.
image
Interesting to note the third item here. Definitely thinking of mobile apps.
image
One interesting thing to note is the magically disappearing and reappearing scroll bar. Don’t forget to use it because there are settings down there. Next.
image
Now this is something new. Logging in using your email address.  I wonder if it will recognize the fact that the email I put in already has a live ID associated with it. Probably.
image
And it did. so now I enter my password. Next
image
It logs me in. And it knows who I am. Except it doesn’t know that I prefer to be called David.
image
It took a while but now it is telling me to wait some more.
image
Personalized Settings.
image
And finally the Initial Desktop that I am used to. But wait.
image
The Desktop disappears and then went to the new Start page. No icons at first but then it showed them.
image
And here they are.
image
Al together this wasn’t more than 45 to 50 minutes installing from start to finish. I am pleased with the experience so far. We shall see what comes of it.
Now it is time to play!  Let me know what your experience was like. If it is anything like mine it was a piece of cake!
Till next time…
Technorati Tags: ,,

No comments:

Post a Comment